Thursday, August 31, 2006

sometimes you eat the bar...

and sometimes the bar... well... eats you.

dude, new york city and i are in a fight. a lovers quarrel. mostly it has to do with the weather, which has been mostly poopy. cloudy. rainy. yucky. can't fall hold off for another month? my first night back was torrential, and i practically had to wade through the upper west side to find my last minute gmat book that was unavailable in indonesia. then, my bathroom was a disaster because, even though i live on the ground floor, there appears to a be a correlation between the rainy weather and the leak right above the toilet. sal, my super, thinks i'm crazy. but apt 2A must shower more often than twice a week...

then moo-moo swooped in from san antonio. i showed her around and fell in love all over again... uws, union square, east village, south street seaport, upper east side, lower east side, teany's (of course), and a game of chess with some weirdos in bryant park. ah, new york... you seduced me. then, you turned around and bitch slapped me.

okay, that's inaccurate. i'm just cranky from some minor boy drama that unfolded last week, which ate up my entire thursday, and hung over my head all weekend in connecticut. details require a four drink minimum... and possibly a cupcake. (fyi--my friend kim is treating me to south east asian food on tuesday in exchange for my company and the dish... so that is the standard to which everyone else will be held.) for those of you in the know, oh-so-over it. next!

anyways, my point is... every time i come back from being anywhere, for any amount of time, i go through decompression. if you've known me for long enough, you've seen it: i'm m.i.a. for about a week... i don't return calls... i don't answer emails. that's "me" time, and i use it to get reacquainted with whatever version of my life happens to be going on at the time. in this case, for instance, its the "living alone on the upper west side/intern by day/student by night/business school applicant whenever i can fit it in" version. between having moo and now my mom in town (auntie san is flying in in t-minus 7 hours), jetting to boulder, colorado, taking a bus to livingston, new jersey (i know it's the suburbs, but i was scared), and weekending in connecticut (how bourgeoise of me, n'est-ce pas?), the emotional distance between me and new york city has yet to be bridged. i'm not concerned, i'm just antsy for us to be back to normal.

plus, i am pretty anal about my routine and get pretty anxious when i'm out of sync. i need to get back to my yoga, my long walks, and my daily cupcake. i went to homemade bakery for the first time last week and the woman behind the counter asked me about my foot. i couldn't believe that she remembered that i had limped in with a cane the month before. she told me that she was worried the first couple of days... but then after a week or so figured i was on vacation. "welcome back!"

and that, my friends, is evidence that my addiction to cupcakes has reached pathological proportions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home